1961 Mercury Comet Sheffield Gray Metallic with Red Interior Limited Edition to 200 pieces Worldwide 1/43 Model Car by Goldvarg Collection
- Brand new 1/43 scale car model of 1961 Mercury Comet Sheffield Gray Metallic with Red Interior Limited Edition to 200 pieces Worldwide model car by Goldvarg Collection.
- Brand new box.
- Real rubber tires.
- True-to-scale detail.
- Officially licensed product.
- Highly detailed interior, exterior.
- Comes in plastic display showcase.
- Manufacturer's original unopened packaging.
- Dimensions approximately L-4.75, W-1.75, H-1.25 inches.
- This model is made of resin and does not have any openings.
The Comet was initially released without any divisional badging, only "Comet" badges, similar to Valiant which didn't have Plymouth badging at first. It was sold through Mercury-Comet dealers, but would not be branded as a Mercury Comet for two more years. This was similar to Ford's treatment of the Meteor and Frontenac of Canada, sold thru Meteor - Mercury - Frontenac dealers.
Introduced in March 1960, initial body styles were 2-door and 4-door sedan sand 2- and 4-door station wagons. Two trim levels were available, standard and "Custom", with the custom package including badging, additional chrome trim and all-vinyl interiors. In 1960, the only engine available was the 144 cid Thriftpower straight six with a single-barrel Holley carburetor which produced 90 hp (67 kW) at 4200 rpm. (Some sources list it as producing 85 hp (63 kW) at 4200 rpm). Transmission options were a column-shifted 3-speed manual and a 2-speed Merc-O-Matic automatic transmission (unique to the Comet, despite sharing a name with the Merc-O-Matic installed in other Mercurys).