1954-1955 Lancia D50 Red 1/18 Diecast Model Car by CMC
(You save $52.20)
Brand new diecast model of 1954-1955 Lancia D50 Red 1/18 Die Cast Model Car by CMC.
Long live the revolutionary spirit!
The design of the D50 was master-minded by Vittorio Jano with revolutionary innovations to cope with the new rules imposed on Grand Prix racing. Among its characteristic features were a transaxle that lowered the center of gravity significantly, a light-weight compact V8 engine with a 90° cylinder angle and four overhead camshafts, and aerodynamically-shaped pannier fuel tanks. To get the drive shaft, which was rotating in concert with the crankshaft revolution, to bypass the driver cabin, the engine was tilted off the longitudinal axis by 12° to the left. The gearbox was mounted transversally just in front of the de Dion rear axle. These were ground-breaking features that made the D50 one of a kind.
Lancia´s ambitious Formula One project soon caught the attention of big shots in the racing world. Alberto Ascari, a two-time world champion from the years before signed to drive for Lancia. Luigi Villoresi, another outstanding driver, joined the Lancia team. In 1955, more well-known pilots were added to the team, including Eugenio Castellotti.
On Oct. 24, 1954, the Lancia D50 made its debut at the last event of the racing season – the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona. Alberto Ascari took pole position in qualifying and accomplished the fastest race lap with 2.18 min, but a clutch failure forced him to retire in the 9th of the 80 laps. The revolutionary spirit started gloriously, but it came to an abrupt end – at least for that season.
No other Lancia automobile had ever caused such an emotional stir in competition and among the public, not to mention its lasting impact on the company’s fortunes. With the demise of Alberto Ascari shortly afterwards, the costs from the development of the D50 and the pursuit of victories in prestigious Grand Prix racing proved to be too much for Gianni Lancia to bear.
The racing team, together with the D50 fleet, was handed over to Enzo Ferrari in 1955, and Lancia's motorsport activities were discontinued for almost a decade.
Metal precision model hand-built from 1,598 parts
Detachable and lockable engine hood
Hinged adjustable screen
Realistic replica of the V8 engine complete with pipes and cabling
Metal exhaust pipes
Triangular steering axle with shock absorbers, front suspension with wishbones, transverse leaf spring, all made of metal
Rear suspension with De-Dion-tube, transverse leaf spring, longitudinal arms and inboard dampers, all made of metal
Radiator grille hand-made of stainless steel with metal supports
Highly-detailed replication of the cooling system
Highly-detailed fuel and oil circulation
Authentically-replicated hinged fuel caps
Authentically-replicated hinged oil-filler cap
Upholstered leather-covered driver seat and head rest
Perfectly-crafted wheels with stainless-steel spokes and nipples on an alloy rim
Authentically-replicated central locking nuts with right-/left-handed threads
Elegant finish with a brilliant paint in original color
Special feature as accessory: Booster-Trolley with separate assist-start device
TECHNICAL DATA OF THE ORIGINAL VEHICLE:
Monoposto built on a tubular frame with free-standing wheels
2.5-litre V8 engine as a stressed member of the chassis
Two valves per cylinder controlled by two overhead camshafts
Dry sump oil lubrication
Mixture preparation with four Solex PII double carburettors
Dual ignition (two plugs per cylinder)
Five-speed manual gearbox installed behind the driver